I always tell clients that they are better off having a snack filled with whole foods rather than a processed protein bar; however, I understand the need for a grab-and-go snack that you can take with you on the way to work, a workout class, a playdate, etc. So how can we have our nutty, salty, sweet mid afternoon snack, but still keep the ingredients real, the sugar crash out of sight, and the snack convenient? Hello, energy balls!
These babies are better than any protein bar I’ve ever had, and they are so satisfying. I recently brought them to a nutrition workshop on added sugar (because they have none!) and they were a smash hit. Workshop goers said they were delicious, and they couldn’t believe how filling and satisfying they were. They hit that salty/sweet craving with minimal sugar, and since they are loaded with healthy fat, they are pretty filling. They aren’t the type of thing you could pop 5 of and still want more (or maybe they are, that’s for you to decide!).
Another great thing about these is that they require no baking or cooking, so they come together in about 10-15 minutes and you don’t have to heat up your kitchen in the dead of summer.
Try pairing 1 or 2 with a Greek yogurt for breakfast, or have a couple as a snack or dessert! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Walnut Cashew Energy Bites
Makes: 24-28 Bites I Prep time: 15 minutes
1 C Walnuts
1 C Cashews
¼ C Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
8 Dates, pits removed
2 tsp Vanilla
½ C Melted Coconut Oil
2 C Almond Flour
½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
½ tsp Salt
Optional: extra coconut flakes to coat balls
1. Place the nuts and dates in a food processor and process until combined
2. Add in almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, vanilla, and coconut and process on high until combined
3. While those ingredients are processing, add in coconut oil and continue processing until a dough forms
4. Roll into balls, cover with coconut flakes (optional), and place into the freezer for at least one hour
5. You can keep these in the freezer or transfer them to the fridge based on what texture and consistency you like best